Saturday, October 29, 2011

October is (almost) Over!

October's the month,
When the smallest breeze,
Gives us a shower of autumn leaves.
Bonfires and pumpkins,
Leaves sailing down.
October is red,
And golden, and brown.

The children in my class have been learning this poem throughout the month.  They so enjoy our poetry basket and take pride in reciting the words with their friends!  In fact, we have been taking turns as circle time reciting the poem in front of our classmates.  What a joy it is to hear the voices of children sharing poetry together!  :)  Here are some photos to share of our poetry basket in use as well as a collection of pictures from this past week.  Enjoy!

Reading and "performing" our October poem.

Building and exploring with blocks.

Looking at a set of our Geography Cards for the continent of Asia.

Exploration with the Constructive Triangles.

Artwork with chalk pastels - I love how the t-shirt was an source of inspiration!
Animals of the World.

Making paper-plate Jack-O-Lanterns to go with our song.
Writing three letter phonetic words with the Moveable Alphabet.
Extension work with the Number Rods and Red Rods.
Practical Life:  Spooning decorative wooden spheres.

Initial sound game using fun objects.

Tracing Sandpaper Phonograms.
Finding objects from the environment to match the with the Second Color Tablet Box.

Labeling the continents on the Puzzle Map of the World.


4 comments:

  1. I love your oversized map of the world for the animals! Where did you get it? And what poem will you be using for November? I have borrowed your poem idea and the children love it! I just used a different poem than you did for october, I think I found it on another blog that does their poems like this too. Thanks for the inspirations! I love looking at you class photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks so much! The map is from Waseca Biomes - I also have their Birthday Celbration Mat which is beautiful. Here is a link to the map:

    http://www.wasecabiomes.org/canvas-mats/geography-mats/continent-mat/

    I found our poems at My Montessori Journey:

    http://mymontessorijourney.typepad.com/my_montessori_journey/2010/11/november-poem.html

    I plan to use the "Thanksgiving" poem for November. Laura (from My Montessori Journey) has graciously provided links to download the photos and poetry basket pages at the bottom of the page!

    Thanks for reading - I'm so glad you enjoy the class photos!

    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love revisiting your posts, Sasha! Your materials and works are so lovely! I featured your movable alphabet photo and link at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/01/02/montessori-monday-inexpensive-and-diy-movable-alphabets/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Deb! I saw your moveable alphabet post - thanks for sharing such super ideas. I always appreciate when you can use my photos and thank you so much!
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete