Thursday, November 3, 2011

November Math

One way I incorporate repetition of concepts in my classroom is through the use of supplemental materials.  By supplemental, I simply mean in addition to the traditional Montessori materials.  I feel it is important to offer these materials to the students because it allows them to practice skills with varying manipulatives.  Very often, I find that students benefit from the additional opportunities to make learning connections with these materials in conjunction with the Montessori apparatus.  Not only do these types of lessons assist me in making critical observations in a child's learning patterns and styles, but also I simply love making them! :)

Autumn Trees 1-10...

Lesson completed.  I also think it would be fun to set up the numbers beginning with ten and ending with one and watch the leaves "fall" one by one.

The basket holds ten craft leaves, each with a number 1-10.  The top tray holds ten mini clothespins...

...so that the children may order them and "hang them on the line."  I simply tacked up a ribbon across a low window in our classroom.  This should be a lot of fun for the kids, even if it simply to hang them up out of order!

Autumn Math Game:  Leaf stickers for the game board with acorns for game pieces.  There are 16 acorns in each decorative pouch - I thought the pouches would provide a great opportunity to practice "opening and closing..."


Montessori Monday Link-Up

Montessori Monday

13 comments:

  1. Really nice activities!! I especially like the clothespin work. Thank you for sharing.
    Discovering Montessori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great activities. I've been wanting to do a number ordering activity like yours for a while...I cannot find small clothespins for the life of me! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tree activity. Plus it is beautiful to look at. I would love for you to link up to my TGIF Linky Party - http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties - I am also your newest follower! I would love for you to follow me back, if you want to =-)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the number sequencing on the leaves. Such a fun way to make something classic an interest point for the season.

    Jess_hak: The small clothespins can be found at Montessori Services

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all of your kind comments! I love to be able to share ideas and so welcome your feedback.

    The small clothespins can also be found in most craft stores, too... (usually near popsickle sticks, small wooden items, etc...)

    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I found your blog at the TGIF Linky party =-)

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  7. The children in your school are SO LUCKY, Sasha! You always have such wonderful seasonal activities! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I just added your autumn trees 1-10 photo to http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/09/29/montessori-inspired-autumn-leaf-unit/ and your acorn math game photo to http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/10/24/montessori-monday-montessori-inspired-squirrel-and-nut-activities/!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb, Thank you for your thoughtful comment - it means so much to me that you have thought of the children in my school and of course, I am honored that you think they are so lucky...! :) I do try my hardest to make sure they have the most authentic Montessori experience I can offer! Thank you so much for adding my photos to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice autumn math tree!
    www.noorjanan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a very cute clothespin work in my classroom. The clothespins have felt leaves on them and they attach the pins to the rim of a small metal bucket. My problem is that the clothespins keep coming apart. Any suggestions for keeping the clothespins together?

    ReplyDelete