Thursday, March 8, 2012

So, you want to sew?

Some of you may recall THIS post last summer about learning to thread a needle.  The lesson has been on the shelf all year and has been enjoyed by a handful of my students.  One reason I created the lesson was because I've always wanted to incorporate more sewing activities in the classroom, but threading a needle was always a challenge for the kids.  Thanks to the practice the lesson provided, many of my students have been enjoying the following new sewing work:

Using an embroidery hoop to sew on burlap.
I have set up all the necessary materials on one of the shelves dedicated to threading and sewing activities:
Basket with burlap squares, tray with yarn and scissors, basket with embroidery hoop and...

...this intriguing little box (which hopefully someone will polish...!).  Inside is the best part of all...

...these tiny sewing scissors which apparently are very appealing to the children!  It's really all about the scissors! :)
Once the child takes a piece of burlap and cuts themselves a piece of yarn, they take everything with them in the basket to a table.  Using the embroidery hoop has been a great point of interest for the children and after demonstrating how to use it, most can do so for themselves.  Preparing the needle and thread has been a natural extension from the Threading a Needle lesson.  I also showed how to tie a knot at the end of the string to bring more success to the sewing process.

Sewing creations.

Montessori Monday Link-Up

Montessori Monday

6 comments:

  1. You know I love this! I love the way you have everything organized for the kids - I need to set up something similar for my students. Keep on sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amie! It's such a joy to watch the kids sewing - they are really enjoying it. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post on sewing works. I am your newest follower! We have a lot in common! I started my Montessori school for our community and for my kids as well.
    http://www.discoverykidzone.blogspot.com/
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great activity, Sasha! I love that you're giving your students a chance to practice sewing skills ... and the idea of the sewing scissors in a special box is awesome! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel,
    Thank you for your kind comment and welcome to my blog! It brings me much joy to know of our common background in starting a school. I look forward to visiting your blog and staying in touch!
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Deb. For many days after I had the lesson out, the box was the most intriguing part! And I hadn't thought of it while setting it up, but there is also a bonus lesson in Opening and Closing it! :)

    ReplyDelete