Thursday, February 9, 2012

Passage of Time

Ok, so the title sounds a bit dramatic...but I recently completed making some new materials having to do with the calendar and the passage of time.  These activities, along with our "Calendar" during circle time, are vital to the child's understanding of history and their place in the world.  Specifically, the students will learn and identify the names of the days of the week and months of the year.  Additionally, they will learn the order of the names and abbreviations.

This set of materials was included in my Geography and Social Studies Albums from my Montessori training program.  The first set consists of a labeled chart with the days of the week in the first column followed by two columns with blank spaces.

Days of the Week chart.  Corresponding labels are in the small container on the left.

First, the child matches the labels to the chart.

Then, the abbreviations are introduced.  These can be presented at the same time, or at a different sitting, depending on the child.
The material for the Months of the Year also consists of a chart, only with the names of the months printed in the first column.  
Months of the Year chart.

Months labels are matched to the column...

...and abbreviations, too.
This set of materials will undoubtedly complement circle time daily calendar lessons. Also, I plan to provide additional paper copies of the charts so that children may write the names and abbreviations if they would like.  We have many students who love to record their work through writing, so I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of this! 

6 comments:

  1. Sasha,
    That's a very nice and helpful activity ;-) Thank you for sharing it with us ;-)

    Warm hugs from Poland ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts. Your presentation of work is always so simplistically, yet beautifully, presented. I find it so inspiring.

    As a side note, I have had my son enrolled in a Montessori school for a month and a half and just this afternoon confirmed with my husband that I will be looking for another school for him to attend. I'll spare you the details but I don't feel this school will give my son what he should receive from a Montessori education. Anyway, I tell you this because I wish you were located in California. As I am preparing myself to go back out on the Montessori School hunt, I will be using what I know about Montessori through my extensive reading and also your blog and what I know about your school. I just really feel you are so true to Montessori's Method.

    Anyway, I know this was a really long comment but I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your blog and what an inspiration you are to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelley, I'm sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience at your son's Montessori school. Sadly, many schoosl claim to follow Montessori principles but do so haphazardly... I hope you are able to find something which will meet your standards and your son's needs. I'm glad I'm able to help by sharing what I know about the method and some of my ideas! :) Thank you for your kind words - it always feels good knowing that efforts are appreciated. Your words inspire ME!!!
    Thanks again and good luck in your school search.
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this idea and I think we'll be adapting it into our calendar time. My oldest (he's 3) asks regularly, "What day is it today? And what comes after that day?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jessica,
    Thanks for reading and the comment! I'm so happy that you can use this idea.

    ReplyDelete