Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Simple Sound Lesson

The idea for this lesson came to me one day after realizing that my students could benefit from more practice fine tuning their listening skills.  Initially, the thought occurred to me to simply introduce the Sound Boxes to more children or play the Silence Game more often with the entire class.  Given that the school year begins in September with many new members of the class however, I thought it would be the ideal time to put together a very simple sound activity.  Not only does this lesson promote auditory awareness, but also prepares the child for future work with the Sensorial and Science materials.

Inside a wooden caddy:  rolled piece of black felt held together with a napkin ring; Sound/No Sound labels; six small boxes - three are empty and three are filled with beads.

A closer look at the labels.  I made them in Word using clip-art and simply used a red marker for the 'X' - critical for the success of pre-readers using the material.
To do the work, the child unrolls the felt and places the labels at the top.  Then, one by one, he picks up a box, shakes it, and listens for any sound, and places the box under the corresponding label.

Lesson completed.
I feel this lesson emphasizes an important skill needed before working with Sound Boxes or attempting the Silence Game.  Additionally, it prepares my students with the organization and use of materials specifically in our Science area - subsequent work with Living/Non-Living; Magnetic/Non-Magnetic, etc. are presented and utilized in the same manner.  Following Montessori's idea of isolation of concept, identical boxes were used for those making sound and those that did not.  In this manner, the child uses only his hearing in determining sound (rather than by sight if the boxes were marked).  Furthermore, the boxes that make sound are identical in their sound, enhancing the isolated concept of determining sound or not.  Sound matching and grading will follow later with the Sound Boxes... For control of error, I placed colored dots on the bottoms of the boxes. 


Such a simple lesson, yet provides so much for the youngest, newest members of the class!

14 comments:

  1. I love this!I am really digging your blog!
    Discovering Montessori
    www.theworkplan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much - I'm glad to hear you like the blog too! Thank you for commenting - I love comments...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shasha,
    This is amazing in its simplicity !!!!! I love the idea ;-) I was thinking about doing a similar activity for loud and quiet sounds but now I will wait and present it to Antek after presenting your activity :-)
    Thank you so much for sharing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ewa,
    Yes, it seems that such a lesson would be beneficial even before loud/soft is introduced. I'm glad you find this lesson useful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful lesson! In my experience, the sound cylinders are intriguing to the youngest children, but are not easy to do. This is a brilliant precursor to that material. I really appreciate the succinct, yet thorough way you describe the careful design of the material and its place within the curriculum as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for noticing the details, Melissa! Thank you also for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such simple but beneficial lesson! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful! I love your creativity in preparing this activity! Thanks for the detailed descriptions and photos - and thanks for sharing it at Montessori Monday. I added your post and photo to http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/07/25/activity-of-the-week-diy-montessori-sound-cylinders/

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're welcome - and thank you for adding it to your DIY sound post too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful - I am going to share this and try it over at http://kreativeactivities.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! And welcome to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sasha,
    Love your sound work, and love that it's preparing the children for the Montessori Sound Cylinders. I just have a practical question: how did you seal the boxes (hot glue?), are the boxes made of wood, and where did you find the boxes? Your material preparation is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Laura,
    Thanks for posting your comment! Your question has a simple answer - tape! However, I think I will eventually hot glue them which will hold up better... If there is such as thing as antique boxes, these are them! They actually came from a donated selection of Montessori materials from an individual in our community who had some materials stored away in her attic for many years...!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Great post! At what age is this best introduced? Thanks in advance!:)

    ReplyDelete