Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Beyond the Walls

Richard Louv's book, Last Child in the Woods:  Saving Children from Nature Deficit Disorder has been the inspiration for a new program I am developing for my school.


Maria Montessori understood the importance of the natural world's influence on child development and its impact on learning.  Current research suggests that "the [growing] disconnection from nature...has enormous implications for human health and child development" (Louv, 2005, p. 43).   Studies also show however, that early experiences in nature can enhance development of imagination, build concentration, attentiveness, critical thinking, and decision-making skills. 

During my Montessori training several years ago, I was fortunate to learn about an exciting outdoor education program called Beyond the Walls.  Headed by an inspiring individual who is passionate about  providing children varied opportunities to explore nature, this type of program is one that I have always thought about starting since that time during my training.  Having finished Louv's book, I am determined now more than ever to begin our own version of Beyond the Walls at Dirigo Montessori School.  I plan to do a bit more research as to how to best implement the program and am looking forward to spending more time learning outdoors, 'beyond the walls' of our classroom!


Louv, R. (2005).  Last child in the woods: Saving our children from nature-deficit disorder.  Chapel Hill,  NC: Algonquin Books.


4 comments:

  1. Great post and a very important book for all parents and educators to read. Give Louv's "The Nature Principle" a read, too. It is just as inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia. I'll be sure to read 'The Nature Principle' as well. I just picked up another gem - Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature by Young, Haas, & McGown. Looks fantastic and I am looking forward to reading that too!

      Delete
  2. I have just borrowed this book from my manager and started it this week. All was going well until my 4 year old tipped a glass of juice over it today! Will follow your project with interest, here in NZ we are really lucky that kids are (mostly) pretty in touch with the outdoors on a regular basis, but we still have kids with developmental issues and learning problems due to too much sedentary time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in Maine, the children are fortunate to have an appreciation for the outdoors as well - I am really looking forward to making it an integral part of our school program...

      Delete