Friday, February 25, 2011

Montessori-Style Bed

We are celebrating a new level of Little Miss' independence!  Since she was born, Little Miss has slept in a Montessori-style bed.  It simply consists of a low-lying mattress allowing a child to get up on his own and explore the room.  Naturally, the environment has been prepared so that safety concerns are eliminated. 


Little Miss' Montessori bed. 
Design ideas courtesy of Finn's Room at Sew Liberated.

For almost two years now, Little Miss has been content to wait in her bed in the mornings for me to come and get her.  Can you imagine?  This entire time she has had free reign in her room, yet never actually got up to play with her toys when she awakened... until this morning!  I was half awake when I thought I heard a door open followed by a pitter patter of tiny feet. By the time I realized I wasn't dreaming and got up, Little Miss had gone all the way downstairs looking for us!  It is comforting to know that she feels confident enough in her surroundings to reach this new height of independence.  (And for those of you who are wondering, yes she is very comfortable navigating the stairs....)

13 comments:

  1. What a BEAUTIFUL room, Sasha! I always appreciate your artistry, and you've incorporated it so wonderfully in Little Miss's bedroom! And it's such a perfect example of Montessori principles as well! I just added your photo and toddler posts (LOVE them!) to my How to Prepare a Montessori Toddler Environment at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/08/30/how-to-prepare-a-montessori-toddler-environment-at-home/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deb! Sometimes I feel like I wish I knew how to prepare a room like this earlier so that my two oldest kids would have benefited as well! :) Thanks for including my posts in your article - I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little I new Pablo was sleeping a-la-Montessori (the pitch of our roof is so low there is no much option!). He enjoys walking out of his bed, but for the most he calls us from the little old style register, either with happy voices or screaming for what ever reason is on a 4 year old's mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never underestimate the practicality of Montessori!!! So perfect because you didn't even realize you were following the theory...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Found you via Living Montessori! I love this... would have loved to do this with my daughter. She's about to move into a 'toddler bed' and I'm hoping the transition is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the feeling - I wish I could have done this with my two older boys... Good luck with the transition to the toddler bed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely blog! Looking forward to reading- new follower.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Jen and welcome to my blog!
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this post randomly, and I love the bed idea. DId your baby start off there as an infant? I have a 6.5 month old, and I really think that he hates the caged feeling of his crib. But, he rolls around everywhere. I'm afraid that he would always fall off (not that it's that far to fall, it's just he doesn't need yet another reason to wake up! Beautiful bedroom, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, she started in the floor bed as an infant and it worked really well for us.
    Thanks for stopping and by and taking a look at my blog!
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely blog! Looking forward to reading- new follower.
    cheap bunk beds with stairs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! I'm looking forward to doing this with my babe when we're done bedsharing. What size mattress is that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a good idea but unfortunately my 4 year old girl keeps rolling everywhere. How can I prevent this? Not for safety issues since the floor is soft all over but because she wakes up each time she finds herself out of the bed... Great blog btw!

    ReplyDelete