Tuesday, November 1, 2011

On the Shelves: November


Oh, I had such a fun time preparing the shelves for November!  Here are just a few pictures of various lessons on the Practical Life shelves.  I plan to share a separate post about our November math activities soon.
Our November necklace-making tray:  The small clothespins hold individual pieces of hemp and are used to clip at one end of the string while the child strings the items onto it.  I cut small slits in the centers of the craft leaves and the wooden beads compliment the theme wonderfully - as do the pasta pieces!  :)  These are going to be some unique necklaces for sure!
Practical Life:  Dry Transferring

A close up of a fun spooning/sorting lesson:  The small cup on the left holds tiny wax leaves which came from a set of candles.

Here is the completed lesson.  I tried to take this picture so that you can see the beautiful Japanese sake cup which fits perfectly with our theme!

Practical Life:  Wet Transferring
I love the gravy boat pouring lesson on second shelf, far left - how fitting for Thanksgiving! ;)

Weaving:  I made this with a wooden sewing hoop and some string, added some festive ribbon, and...

...here is the lesson completed!  I have observed the children very much enjoying weaving in the classroom, so I am looking forward to seeing how they will respond to this activity.

A basket of teeny tiny buttons with pipe cleaners for a challenging fine motor activity...

...with ten acorns and ten leaves (indirect preparation for the decimal system!). 

And what is inside of this basket...?

...the perfect opportunity to practice setting the table - just in time for Thanksgiving!  :)

And just for fun and giggles (while promoting use of the pincer grasp with clothespins)...

...a Thanksgiving turkey!

12 comments:

  1. I love your new activities!!! I have the same turkey activity with the pegs. I am working on my shelves too as I am still on my Halloween break. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing! November is one of my favorite months...Have fun setting up your shelves! Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. love them!! thanks for sharing. I'm still keeping my October activities on the shelves because we started late last month. But I will be getting ready for Nov. activities.
    Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. The children are really having a great time with these activities! Thanks for reading and leaving a comment! :) Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  5. This setting table activity is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing it - I will certainly prepare something similar for my boys:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My students are loving the table setting lesson - Also, just this morning, I used it for a reading lesson and wrote labels for the child to match to the objects, i.e. spoon, fork, cup, etc. Thanks for your lovely comment and have fun preapring your table setting lesson! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your classroom is always so beautiful and inviting, Sasha! I love your displays as well as your activities. How creative to have gravy boat pouring ... and your weaving and button stringing activities are wonderful! I featured the photo of your Thanksgiving display in my Montessori-inspired gratitude activities post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/11/07/montessori-monday-montessori-inspired-gratitude-activities/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Deb! Really, I just love November...! :) Thank you for always taking the time to leave such meaningful comments and for your tireless efforts to share information.

    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love the card stand that you have the beautiful Give Thanks cards on!! Where in the world can I find those stands. I have looked everywhere for them on this computer. Love your classroom too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Betty! These wooden stands can be found at Montessori Services:

    http://www.montessoriservices.com/wooden-display-stand-large

    The above address goes to the large size, but they also have a small size...

    Thanks for reading,
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ordered two large stands and two small stands!! Now I can't wait for them to come in. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect! You will enjoy them very much as they can be used for so many purposes! Enjoy!
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete