Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thanksgiving Poem

The children have been learning a new poem this month called, "Thanksgiving."  It brings me so much joy to hear the children take pride in memorizing and reciting poetry - what better way foster appreciation for language than to experience poetry?!  The following is a video of my daughter (2 years, 9 months) reciting our "Thanksgiving" poem at school.  If you are a parent of one of my students, your child knows this poem too - I hope they will be able to share it with your during this Thanksgiving season!

Our 'Thanksgiving' Poetry Basket.
Thanksgiving

The year has turned its circle,
The seasons come and go.
The harvest is all gathered in
And chilly north winds blow.
Orchards have shared their treasures,
The fields their yellow grain.
So open wide the doorway,
Thanksgiving comes again!




Montessori Monday Link-Up

Montessori Monday

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely poem. I have meant to include poetry baskets on my kids' shelves all year, but only did so once or twice. This one is one I will have to bookmark for next year when I am more consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Love idea of introducing poetry to really little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sweet gentle poem. Thanksgiving sounds like a really lovely non-sectarian celebration. This post reminds me to read some poetry to my daughter (20 months)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Thanksgiving poem - and your daughter is adorable in the video! What a perfect way for children to gain performance skills by reciting poetry in a safe environment! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I just featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of your kind comments! I must share with you, that this is the first year that I have been regularly introducing new poems (besides the traditional circle time-type songs,etc...)and the children have responded so postively. In fact, on several occassions, they the kids spontaneously began reciting poetry - out on the playground, at lunchtime, in fact, it was the children who first wanted to take turns reciting the poem in front of each other at circle time! :) It has really made postive changes to the culture of our classroom!

    ReplyDelete